Wheel of Fortune Celebrates Philadelphia – Plus my Q&A With Vanna and Pat
Wheel of Fortune is doing a week of shows featuring Philadelphia, May 16-20, as part of their great American Cities series.
The series airs at 730PM Monday through Friday
Pat Sajak and Vanna White spent an action-packed few days in Philadelphia last October doing promo spots at several locations including the Philadelphia Zoo where I caught up with them.
Thanks to 6ABC I was able to ask America’s Sweetheart Couple, together for 33 years, a few questions during their visit last year.
Here is what I found out.
- The entire year is filmed in 35 days, over a 9 month period. Ever since they went from manual letters to electronic letters, they’ve been able to film an entire week in one day.
- “I have never worn the same dress twice, and I’ve worn over 6,000 gowns, ” all loaners from designers! Once or twice she’s bought a gown from the designer to wear to a function.
- When she’s not on TV or making a public appearance “I am a blue jeans and no make up kind of girl off camera. I also go to bed early and wake up early.”
- Vanna loves to crochet, and has her own line of yarn, “Vanna’s Choice,” she’s donated over $1 million dollars to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
- Pat Sajak is a big fan of hockey and his favorite team is the Washington Capitals, as he lives in Maryland close to DC. When the Caps play the Flyers you’ll find him in the stands cheering them.
- He’s never really gotten mad at a contestant for missing an easily guessed word, even though the internet disagrees with him.
- The one question they are asked the most is have they ever dated each other – NO; Pat’s been married to his wife Lesly for 39 years.
- They’re kinda tired of hearing people call out to them “Can I Buy A Vowel”, which is consistently done from fans even before a hello!
- They loved their time in Philly, the food is delicious. They said eating at Townsend is a must stop for anyone who visits Philadelphia. In fact they both told me it was a reason to visit Philadelphia.
All 15 contestants are from the Philadelphia area and include a middle school and history teacher, a graduate student, a firefighter, and a local business owner. Prizing will be sourced from local businesses and the audience will include Philadelphia-based sweepstakes winners flown in for the festivities.